Get the facts behind the story. Make yourself an expert.
And discover the 19 secrets of episode eight…
1. Where is Nord-Kivu?
2. Are gorillas really threatened with extinction in the Democratic Republic of Congo?
3. Where can I find video of a real anti-poaching superhero?
4. How does slash-and-burn farming work?
5. What are the dangers of slash-and-burn?
6. So what’s a good alternative?
7. Is the DRC really the richest nation in the world, when it comes to natural resources?
8. Why is tantalum mining a problem?
9. Is there really such a job as “head gorilla protector”?
10. Who is John Kasaona?
11. What are the benefits of “wildlife tourism” in Africa? The dangers?
12. How does conservation farming work?
13. What is biopiracy?
14. Why does biodiversity matter?
15. What’s Eureka working on when Cipher walks up?
16. How do I make my own terra preta?
17. How are child soldiers recruited in the DRC?
18. Who are the real child soldiers of the DRC?
19. What happens to child soldiers who survive?
BONUS: Expert level investigation files.
Working with indigenous knowledge can be extremely challenging. If you find this week’s missions especially interesting, here are 4 ways get advanced training:
Learn it: How can we measure the economic value of traditional environmental knowledge?
Act on it: Indigenous Knowledge for Development – A Framework for Action
Share it: Online seminars from the World Bank Indigenous Knowledge Program
Try it: A Community Knowledge Exchange Tool Kit
Keep the investigation going…
Did you spot other clues about the future in episode eight? Post them here!
And share what you know: Add more links, and ask and answer questions, in the comments below.